Hey! i love this game but i got a big problem with 1.1.1.
Since campaign level's instructions are stored in the .exe/Content folder for stable version and not in the AppData folder, they don't stay between versions.
That's pretty annoying since i had a lot of very optimized scripts in the campaign levels, especially a 152 lines WIP extreme 2 script that would break the record by about 1.6s and i don't want to lose it or rewrite it.
Bots are Stupid
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Ever heard of Robots becoming sentient and taking over humanity?
Ridiculous! Bots are extremely stupid! They can’t even make it through a room full of deadly obstacles, nauseating heights and tiny platforms using nothing but a powerful grappling hook - without human support at least.
So why not help them?
“Bots are stupid” is a 2D Platformer/Puzzle Game where instead of using live inputs to control the character, the player has to program precise instructions for his Robots to follow to make it through the level.
Step into the role of Central Locomotion Officer in a futuristic factory built to assemble and train the world’s most sophisticated machines since the invention of the Roomba.
Your supply of robots is endless so no matter how many crashes and explosions it takes, there is always a way to make it through the test chambers. But remember: the fewer commands the better!
- 12 uniquely challenging Platformer Levels
- Ultra-precise control by writing instructions
- Grappling hook, Speed boosters, Conveyor belts
- Level Editor + Level Sharing
- Global Leaderboards of each level's best scripts
- Infinite supply of bots!
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Hey! i love this game but i got a big problem with 1.1.1.
Definitely sounds like a pretty annoying problem but I think your old instructions should still be safe.
Since the Levels haven't changed between 1.1 and 1.1.1 you should be able to simply replace the .xml files.
You can find the new levels at
"C:\Users\[YourUsername]\AppData\Local\Temp\.net\BotsAreStupid\[RandomID]\Content\Levels\". Just delete those and replace them with the ones from the stable folder.
This should do it, please let me know if it worked!
Will definitely look into an alternative way of saving instructions for the next update to fix this.
Thanks for letting me know =)
This game is great so far. I have the global record on one of the levels, and I'm trying to refine others.
There is one niche complaint, in that an orb takes time to get to the gate. That means that you can pick something up and go towards the exit, but get there before the game does and overshoot. It's working as intended, but it feels a touch wonky to have to go spinning around until it gets there.
Glad you enjoyed!
Not sure what to do about the orb, since it's already been sped up a lot in the last patch. It's probably going to stay like that for the time being though. :)
I Love it.
I just finished playing, i'm really surprised by the quality of the game, i didn't expect such level.
The gameplay is a really good idea and it works very well.
The editor and its online function are a also a good surprise.
The only thing that bothered me while playing is that i could not skip the tutorial, you can replay it but not skip it, it may be a bit long.
You did an amazing job out there, thank you.
Thank you kind sir!
You can actually skip the tutorial by pressing "Clear Instructions" in the pause menu but I'll have to add a more obvious alternative.
Great game BUT if I didn't finish level 1 I wouldn't say it was extremely bad.
Level 2 is good, the tutorials are great but the level 1 is just messy and awful. The use of every mechanics wasn't explained so level 1 is just a brute-force thing with 10 seconds of delay between each try.
You should put level 1 at the end of the game and make another level 1. It's hard to finish it because we don't know how to use the grappling (especially in close spaces).
Advice for another level 1 :
- More space to work
- learn steps by steps and not by throwing every possible mechanics in the first level
I'm looking forward for other updates and more stages made by the community, keep the great work, there is a lot of potential in your game.
Thanks for the feedback! :)
I'm currently working on a better tutorial where features and new commands are introduced level by level.
By level 1, do you mean "Intro" or "Basic"?
A Linux ARM8 version would be awesome for those of us who use a Raspberry Pi 4 as a desktop machine on a regular basis. ;)
Yeah I'll add a build for that. You'll need to tell me if it works though :D
Edit: Was told it crashes instantly, had to remove.
This game's fun. Very fun. Platformer with programming. Schway idea. Will play more. Definitely.
Great game but here are my opinions:
- Somtimes I get to the finish before the orb gets there even if I picked it up. I would suggest to increase speed of it when it is moving to the finish.
- I think it would be nice to have a timer that shows how long is the level goind for.
- It seems that when I try to hook something and falling down to spikes at the same time, the hook retracts before dying. I would be nice if it just kept going but I am not sure about this one.
- The tutorial seems a bit boring. It would be nice if the tutorial was interactive so new players could try new commands right away and not get bored.
- Maybe another hook command that accepts angle instead of right,left but
keep the right,left too. Or add more options like high-left,high-right.
- Reveal advanced commands as player continues through the game. So maybe at the start of each level (or each 2 levels) it would show new command that would be available from now on. And when players get new commands they could revisit old levels to complete them faster/with less lines of code. Suggestion 5 could be one of the advanced commands. I think this would add great gameplay to the game.
- Another advanced command could be just 'stop' that will stop all horizontal movement in air. Stop left/right will stop acceleration to that direction but when in air it will keep going for some time.
- It would be nice to have resizable window.
- Skins for players that can be awarded when completing some levels.
- Some rating system to levels. Like for example 3 starts that players would get when completing some mini-challenges that would be different for each level. Like complete level under some time, less than x lines of code, pick up some special star, ... And some challenges cannot be completed right away so if players would want more stars (for a skin or something as a reward) they would need to revisit the level when they get more advanced commands.
I have more ideas so if you want we could contanct through discord or whatever and talk more. And btw found out about this through reddit.
Have a nice day. :)
Thanks a lot for your feedback! I will definitely consider some of your suggestions for the next update. Those advanced commands could really be useful =)
The easiest way to send feedback is probably using the dedicated button in the credits menu in-game.